1/19/09

Seo_Taiji_BERMUDA_[Triangle]_

Innocence

Pandora's Box

Failure

Temptation

Sex

Premature

Pain

Irreversible_

I usually try not to watch this kind of gothic -very dark, has a girl, has blood, has roses, wings, and a lot of graphics/visually striking scenes - M/Vs. So many people think it's way cool, but from a viewpoint of a person who was once into it and got out of it a couple years ago, I know it could be seen as simply EMO and/or retarded. No offence to the admirers of that genre, I just figured it out and that's the way I put it when I realized. It's cool and all that, but this kind of things are just too stereotypical and over-tries to attract some attention by putting beautiful things and awful things together and making them all horrid in the end.

It's just that this time it's Seo Taiji and is kind of different from all the rest of dark-angel-gothic wannabe music videos. You will notice that it is kind of realistic if you watch this M/V with some efforts to comprehend the context. It has its own metaphor: that's what I'm trying to say.

The lyrics are very metaphoric, too. It has deeper meanings than just good-sounding words, but Taiji makes it poetic. I could feel the sense of satire and irony from the big picture of it; about the teens' sexual immorality, about the kids wanting to grow up faster without knowing what it takes and what lies ahead. The sensational lyric drives it to be focused more on sex-related issues, though I see a more general picture.

It's quite easy to see what's going on in the first half of the M/V. But from when the girl starts wearing the black cloths and makeups, I was slightly confused. Isn't she supposed to be dead? Is there more to tell? Well, that was the beginning of the whole message, as I later found out. She -metaphorically- had sex with someone, and tasted the sweet fruit of immorality. She then wraps herself to be more mature-looking, because she senses that the "outer world" that awaits her is sinister, dangerous, and scary. As she does that, she's hiding her weaknesses and childishness(or rather, the innocence) behind the bold outfit. However, the wings that are visible by CG when she's walking out in the high-heels imply that she misses her old self inside.

She gets hurt, falls down, and cries. But the last part... her expression has lost that of a child. She stares and makes some kind of gross magic portion. She is no longer that girl in the beginning, and it seems impossible that she returns. That is like the Bermuda Triangle, where one may never get out of.

Not just I am a fan of STJ, but of his way of talking to people through music. This M/V got me a lot to think of. I can't say that I liked it nor loved it, but I still have a lot to think about this. Awfully good.

No comments:

Post a Comment